You are here
Research Center "E. Piaggio"
Dipartimento di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
University of Pisa
Largo L. Lazzarino 2,
56100 Pisa, Italy
Tel. +39 050 2217057
Fax +39 050 2217051
Teaching Activities (In Italian - Corsi, Tesi)
Research Activities (Under Construction)
Curriculum Vitae (ITA) (ENG) - Updated January 2021
Lucia Pallottino is currently Associate Professor at the Centro di Ricerca "E. Piaggio" and the Dipartimento di Ingegneria dell'Informazione at the University of Pisa. She received the "Laurea" degree in Mathematics from the Department of Mathematics in the University of Pisa in 1998. She got a Doctoral degree in Robotics and Industrial Automation at Centro "E. Piaggio" at the Faculty of Engineering, in January 2002. She has been Assistant Professor from 2007 to 2015. She has been Visiting Scholar at M.I.T. (2000-2001) in the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems (LIDS ). She has been Visiting Researcher at UCLA, (2004) in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department (MAE ).
She is (or has been)
- Deputy Director of Centro di Ricerca "E. Piaggio" (since Jan. 2017);
- Responsible of the CrossLab in Advanced Manufacturing (2018-2020);
- Co-founder of Proxima robotics srl, Spin-off of the University of Pisa;
- Chair of the IEEE Robotics & Automation Society Italian Chapter (I-RAS) (Jan. 2015- Dec. 2018);
- Senior Editor of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (since 2020), Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems (Since 2021) and of IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering (Since 2021) , Associate Editor of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (2017-2020) and of the IEEE Transaction on Robotics (2014-2017).
- Principal Investigator of the DeCAIR Erasmus+ European project.
- Scientific collaborator in the DARKO European project.
- Principal Investigator of the ILIAD European project.
- Scientific collaborator in the WALK-MAN European project.
Her main research interests within Robotics are in motion planning and control, optimal control, coordination of multi–robot systems, distributed algorithms.
Finalist of the "2019 ICRA Best Paper Award on Human-Robot Interaction" for the paper: "Deconfliction of Motion Paths with Traffic Inspired Rules in Robot-Robot and Human-Robot Interaction'' by F. Celi, L. Wang, L. Pallottino, M. Egerstedt published in IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 2227-2234, 2019.
Receipient of the 2019 RAS Chapter of the Year Award as the Chair of the IEEE Robotics & Automation Society Italian Chapter, with co-chair Andrea Maria Zanchettin.
Recipient of the "IEEE-RAS Italian Chapter Young Author Best Paper Award 2009" for the paper: L. Pallottino, V.G. Scordio, A. Bicchi, E. Frazzoli, "Decentralized cooperative policy for conflict resolution in multivehicle systems," on IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 23 (6):1170-1183, 2007.
Top 10 Best Research Papers (2000 to 2009) in IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems}: L. Pallottino, E. M. Feron, and A. Bicchi, ``Conflict resolution problems for air traffic management systems solved with mixed integer programming,'' IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 311, March 2002.
She has served IEEE (CASE, ICRA, IVS, IROS, ARMS, IRAM, SAC) as a Program Committee member and was a co-chair of the Technical Program Committee of CONET2012 workshop. She is also external Reviewer for research projects such as the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) in the Computer Sciences and Engineering field, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) for “Discovery Grant” research projects and the Fund for Scientific Research (F.R.S.-FNRS) in Brussels.
She has supervised more than 60 Master Thesis.
Former Ph.D. Sudents:
- Vincenzo Giovanni Scordio, ``Decentralized traffic management of multi-agent systems'', 2006. Currently Industrial Automation Consultant and Contractor in Italy.
- Paolo Salaris, ``From Optimal Synthesis to Optimal Visual Servoing for Autonomous Vehicles'', 2011. Currently Assistant Professor at the University of Pisa.
- Jose Manuel Bonilla Jimenez, ``Constrained motion planning and execution for soft robots'', 2016. Currently R\&D Engineer at Robot System Automation
- Mirko Ferrati, ``Distributed Planning for Legged and Mobile Robots From single footsteps to distributed coordination with a time expanded approach'', 2016. Currently Senior Navigation Robotics Engineer at Aeolus Robotics, Inc.
- Alessandro Settimi, ``Primitive based hierarchical planning for humanoid robots'', 2017. CEO of Proxima Robotics s.r.l.
- Simone Nardi, ``A game theoretic approach for multi-robot coordination to guarantee security in critical scenarios, from theory to real applications'', Ph.D. in Mathematics, 2017. Currently High Tech Innovation Specialist \& Cofounder presso EikonTech srl.
- Anna Mannucci, ``Intra-logistics with integrated automatic deployment: from one to multi-mobile robot systems'', 2020. Currently Post-Doc at Orebro University, Sweden.
Current Ph.D. Sudents:
- Chiara Gabellieri (Expected July 2021)
- Federico Massa (Expected July 2021)
- Grazia Zambella (Expected July 2023)
- Alessandro Palleschi (Expected July 2023)
- Elisa Stefanini (Expected July 2024)
- Olga Napolitano (Expected July 2024)